Monday, June 16, 2014

Response #1 to Warnock: Chapters 1-4

First off, I would like to comment on Warnock's voice in this "textbook." I put textbook in quotes because it does not resemble nor reads like a typical textbook. It is slim and light, and the structure is easy to follow. I appreciate Warnock's candid voice. I found myself chuckling at times to certain comments he would make about otherwise mundane topics. If anything, I always admire dry wit.

My thoughts on chapter one are pretty straightforward. I liked the list of personalities that Warnock advises against using when conducting an online course. The same goes when teaching a live course, for the most part. Also, I liked his suggestions for ice-breakers. I have only taken one other online course, and we did a large introductory post. While these are great, I prefer short, original introductions. His fill in the blank type questions are to the point and would leave a lasting impression. I feel like this is important in getting to know people in the online environment. For example, I prefer to know the people who will be commenting on my posts at least once a week.

The online vs. hybrid course debate covered in chapter two was somewhat confusing for me. I have never participated in true hybrid course...at least, I don't think. I have taken one or two courses where certain activities are completed via Blackboard while other stuff is turned in during class time. Does this constitute a hybrid course? Those of you with a stronger background in this could possibly help me out?

Chapters three and four move towards an in depth explanation about activities and strategies that can be used in to improve communication online, etc. Dr. Spring mentioned the possibility of using Google Hangout at the beginning of this course. I have never used Google Hangout before, but I am open to the idea. My biggest hindrance in the course so far is time. I have a packed summer schedule (despite being "off") and I feel like this has kept me from exploring other options. Warnock mentions using a "stripped down" method for communicating day to day in the online class environment. So far, I have made a better effort in re-activating my Twitter account and checking my Winthrop email regularly. These are small steps that I hope will lead to bigger ones. Right now, I am content with doing the majority of course work independently. This is only because I am afraid to commit to group work etc. without giving a 100% effort. I don't want to be that person who doesn't do her share of the work. Part of this stems from fear of the unknown in relation to online class. But as Warnock says, "At some point, you need to jump in."

Final thought: the glossary found at the back of this book is extremely helpful. Just FYI in case some of you haven't noticed it yet. (I just noticed it tonight, so yeah.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment