Monday, June 30, 2014

Response to Warnock #3: Chapters 7-10

I specifically want to focus on chapter ten for this response post to Warnock's text. Chapter ten is Warnock's proponent for peer reviewing assignments. I have not had the best relationship with peer editing assignments, nor have I received the best response. Partially because I think peer review activities are the opposite of objective. Usually a teacher or professor gives you certain guidelines which then leads to students going though the motions just to get through with the assignment. Warnock offers a different approach to peer reviewing and editing that I think may actually work. Below I have described some points Warnock makes in chapter ten and my response to them.

Like many other teachers, Warnock stresses giving succinct rules and expectations for a peer review assignment. His rules and expectations differ fro ones I've encountered from past professors, and I think they are valuable.

"Make it clear you want a critic, not a cheerleader." Amen, Warnock. This was a huge pet peeve of mine during my undergraduate career. There is a definitive line between being polite and helpful and just being too nice. When I am working on a serious assignment, I expect serious feedback. Now, don't ream be and make me feel two inches tall, but do please offer helpful criticism with appropriate actions to fix an issue.

"Grade the reviews." Warnock really means "give feedback" when he says grade the reviews, but I like his belief that an instructor should be able to insert himself into a progressing review and offer feedback when it looks like the activity is going astray.

"Peer Review Software" Warnock essentially describes software that can do what GoogleDocs does now. Since this book was published in 2009, it lacks information about the mega mogul search engine's peer editing software. I would very much like to see Warnock's input about GoogleDocs, and I assume that an updated edition of this text will contain this.

Peer editing is the only amount of collaborative work I would be comfortable assigning in an online class. I believe Melissa pointed at the appeal of online courses for those with busy schedules. To me, an online class loses its value when students are forced to meet on a regular basis. If you are going to do this, then there should just be a designated class time to meet f2f. 

2 comments:

  1. I am really glad you pointed out GoogleDocs. I, too, feel the book is a little outdated, but with publishing as slow as it is, I guess that comes with the territory. Google offers so many collaboration tools now that it is amazing what people can do virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your last paragraph. I was a bit put out in my other online course this semester when I realized we had to do virtual meetings at certain times. The whole reason I signed up for online was for flexibility.

    ReplyDelete