Monday, June 23, 2014

Response to Warnock #2- Chapters 5-6

Once again, Warnock doesn't disappoint. Chapter 5 has been my favorite chapter so far in this tiny textbook, mainly because I can relate and translate Warnock's advice and tips to my own classroom. I know I may seem redundant by always tying in material from this class to my profession, but it is rare where I can directly equate what I'm learning in graduate school to what I do for a living. That's not to say graduate school isn't important, but since I chose to pursue an M.A. versus an M.Ed. it takes some rearranging. I appreciate the fact that I can take what Warnock writes and directly apply it to something I already do, or could be doing better.

One big thing that struck me in chapter 5 was that Warnock states, "One myth about teaching online is that you must have everything scheduled and ready to go far in advance of the start of the term" (45). Warnock constantly praises the flexibility of online course, and I agree that they are ideal for one with a busy schedule. However, I did not realize how flexible one can be while teaching an online course. The idea that you can teach a class at your own pace, and change things as they come is very appealing. I realize you can technically do this in a f2f environment, but there is more pressure to stay on schedule when you meet at regular intervals. Another thing that struck me as interesting in chapter five is the organization. Warnock designed the chapter with short blurbs of expository writing dotted with lists and tips. This made the reading easy, and I was able to make substantial notes and connections. Finally, the end of chapter 5 directed me to Warnock's Teaching Materials Appendix. I mentioned in my earlier post that Warnock included a helpful glossary, but I just discovered the appendices. The fact that Warnock provides templates for certain things he mentions throughout his book is very impressive!

Chapter 6 addresses and assuages some big fears I have towards online schooling. I mentioned early on in the class that this is only my second online course. A big complaint that I had for my first online course was the seemingly lack of organization and overarching end goal. I found myself at times asking, What exactly am I learning here? Consistency is a virtue I treasure, and it is a concept that Warnock reiterates in this chapter. Warnock's Weekly Plan is self explanatory, and it "...solves many subtle but nettlesome problems encountered in an OWcourse, where students might be working in several different environments and will have different sets of instructions for each environment" (Warnock 55). A Weekly Plan cuts down on confusion, and has all the information needed for an online course in one place.

Final thought, Warnock pushes for redundancy. Usually redundancy is a negative thing in the classroom, but not when it comes to giving instruction. I cannot tell you how many times I repeat directions in any given day in my classroom. It's maddening! But repeating statements on "paper" is another story. There are already natural barriers in place in the online environment, so repeating due dates, assignment descriptions, etc. and putting them in multiple places is a smart way to ensure students understand.

Warnock, Scott. Teaching Writing Online: How and Why. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 2009. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment