Monday, June 30, 2014

Response to Research Post #3-Online Learning and Low Income Students

Online Learning and Low Income Students

Yes, it's me again. With an article about teaching-ha, go figure! While I told myself I would take a break from posting about teaching and focus more in writing instruction, I couldn't help but use this paper in my blog. The link above will take you to an abstract from a paper-different from actual media articles I posted in the past. Once again, Dr. Spring shared this on her Twitter page, and I scooped it up for further reading. It is quite dense, so I'm just going to cover the highlights on this blog post. I plan to use this in my annotated bibliography since it matches quite nicely with my interests: Online teaching and low level students. I feel like Krista and Melissa would especially enjoy this academic paper because it may support some of the things they've been writing in their blogs.


Shanna Smith Jaggars, the author, gives valid points when explaining obstacles low income students can face when taking hybrid or all online courses. The first section of the paper is an in-depth view of research available on online courses and success rates. It also breaks down what type of courses are taken online by a certain student demographics, and the overall outcomes of these courses. The statistics for some of these studies were shocking. For example, Jaggars describes a study that reports, "Online courses, like other forms of distance learning, clearly have higher mid-semester withdrawal rates than do face-to-face courses. This difference may be particularly pronounced among under prepared students" (8). So what constitutes an under prepared student? According to Jaggars, an under prepared student is a student that is not adequately ready to take on traditional college work (i.e. writing papers, using critical reading skills, or conducting solid research). The remaining first half of this paper presents several case studies that further support Jaggers' claim. She doesn't necessarily slam online teaching, in fact, she explains that under prepared students are more likely not to return to an online course after failing, or performing poorly.

Jaggars also hits on a concept I also have thought about. Technological access for low income students. This is the major drawback for me for using a flipped classroom assignment. Many of my Bridges students do not possess a computer at home, so it would be hard for them to view an assignment outside of class. That is why, if I were to do a flipped assignment, I would have them use iPads in the classroom and then come to me with questions.

The last fourth of this paper presents strategies that can be put in place to help these students. Some of the strategies Jaggers suggest are: reduce student costs for community college, revise financial aid, offer more routine online courses, and teach online learning skills. Obviously, I haven't gone into extreme detail with explaining this paper, but I feel like it is a good resource to back an argument for online teaching. At first I though the paper would be solely against online courses for the underprivileged, but instead, Jaggars gives good insight into what can be done to fix these issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment