Monday, July 28, 2014

Response to Research Post #7-Twitter for the Classroom and Google Classroom

Twitter for the Classroom 

If  you've been following my posts, you've realized I've re-acquainted myself with Twitter. It's been a slow process, and I'm still not using it like a teacher should (darn me and my social proclivities), but I AM learning how to navigate the whole hashtag thing, and how to carry on a conversation in the Twitter-sphere.

Dr. Spring shared this article with me from a fellow digital media educator's blog. I believe I have already shared an article about Twitter (or one that contains thoughts on how to use Twitter) in my blog, but I thought this post was particular accessible to other educators of the higher level persuasion.

Dr. Deyamport, the aforementioned blogger and professional media instructor, provides a list on how educators should use Twitter to their advantage. This list a tad bit shorter than the list I posted earlier in the semester, and it contains information that I have not previously discussed. For example, Dr. D emphasizes having a reliable bio and photo on your Twitter page. I think my bio at the moment is a bunch of words that describe me. Just words. Separated with periods. Much like this. My current bio could work, but I think I can amp it up. I also should update my photo to just a photo of me in all my glory. I love my husband, but he isn't as recognizable. Sorry, Cale. I wish there was a way to change my Twitter handle, but if there is, I'm unaware. I created my Twitter page wayyyyy back in 2009 when I was 20 years old and obsessed with Lucky Brand Jeans and anything else made by the Lucky Brand corporation. I still love Lucky, but I'd like to have a different handle. Maybe I can make a whole separate page just for my "professional" persona? And then leave the Lucky Brand to lucky celebrities I stalk? (I'm looking at you, Tom Hiddleston...)

You already did. 
Dr. D also stresses the importance of sharing on Twitter. I've realized that lots of online articles I've read have a little button where you can "paste" it directly to Twitter. I know, I know, I'm slow at discovering things, but hey, better late than never! I decided that this week I will post 3 articles of the "scholarly" persuasion. Meaning, no stuff from Buzzfeed no matter how appropriate I think it may be.

Finally, Dr. Spring also shared an article on Twitter about the Google Classroom. You can find it here. Basically, Google has finally taken all the badass things it offers in relevance to educators and combined it into one hefty space. In Warnock's words, Google has created its own CMS of sorts. The posted link provides a video tutorial that I think is worth watching.

Follow me on Twitter! @luckybrandluv

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone. I still can't get used to Twitter. I started an account just for this course, but I have yet to post anything on there. And I have no idea how hashtags work. I just don't feel like I have time for it in my life right now, but maybe later I will revisit it and see how it works. I think it is a good idea to have an account for your different personas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an excellent point from your article about sharing a biography. It is important to state what you're about, but the struggle with Twitter is you only have so much room. You need to get to the point in a few characters. I use Twitter primarily for my author account, so my biography consists of what I've published. I do not use Twitter very often, so as Krista said, I am still figuring out the best ways to use hashtags. They are great tools for sharing information, and the more you share, the more attention your are paid on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete