Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Response to Research Post #6 - 10 Things Teachers Should Know about GoogleDocs

I apologize for the late post. Yesterday was a doozy, and I plum forgot it was a Monday!

Today's research themed post centers on GoogleDocs. GoogleDocs first appeared in my orbit around 2010. I used it for my WRIT 350 course as a way to peer edit a paper. It was neat, but we basically used different colored fonts to write in comments and add our thoughts towards a peer's paper. I will say I garnered good feedback on my paper, and I did not feel like my group was going through the motions.

Obviously GoogleDocs has come a long way from just using colored font to add comments. Now you can create quizzes on GoogleDocs, surveys, tests, etc. and the best part? You can spy on your students! I will admit that I have not used GoogleDocs to its full advantage, but I have left assignments for my students to complete while I was out sick. For example, I found a neat web quest about Shakespeare online, so I uploaded it to GoogleDocs and left instructions for my sub. Students were to get in pairs and complete the web quest using Chromebooks. While I was home sick, I was able to log into my Google account and see if students were doing their work. It was great because I was able to go back the next day and praise those who worked diligently and then of course, take points off for those who did not complete the assignment.

The article linked below gives some handy insight into services offered through GoogleDocs. I've already mentioned some above (editing features, etc.) but some new ones I'm looking into are the research tools and the ability to leave vocal comments.

What are your experiences with GoogleDocs? Love it? Hate it? Don't know much about it? Let me know!

10 Things Every Teacher Should Know about GoogleDocs

Oh, and PS. The website where this article came from, Edudemic, is FANTASTIC. Dr. Spring has posted several articles from here on the Twitter page, and I've been using it for the past week to do some research for the annotated bib assignment. I especially enjoy the "How-To" section! 

No comments:

Post a Comment