Monday, July 14, 2014

Response to Research Post #5- Effective Feedback for Learning

20 Ways to Provide Effective Feedback for Learning 

I don't know about you, but I love lists. Lists are great, and I always feel so wonderful when I can cross things off a to-do list, or read a bunch of information in as few words as possible. If you're a fan of lists, you should read Buzzfeed and Mental Floss on the daily because they are made up of a bunch of useless lists about stuff you LOVE. Disney movies, marriage tips, funny stuff kids say, the lists go on and on!

Yep.

Today's list does not cover things you might not know about Beauty and the Beast (a personal favorite of mine). Instead, it's about how to give effective feedback in any situation. Dr. Spring posted this article on Twitter a few days ago, and I linked it at the top of this post. What I especially like about this article is that it addresses feedback in multiple situations, not just the classroom. While the core of the article talks about teacher feedback, many of these tips can be applied to any work environment. I listed my favorite below.

4. Ask the 4 questions.
Studies of effective teaching and learning (Dinham, 2002, 2007a; 2007b) have shown that learners want to know where they stand in regards to their work.  Providing answers to the following four questions on a regular basis will help provide quality feedback.  These four questions are also helpful when providing feedback to parents:
  • What can the student do?
  • What can’t the student do?
  • How does the student’s work compare with that of others?
  • How can the student do better?
Look, a list within a list! Seriously though, I could do these four things a lot more when conferencing with a student one on one. I almost want to put this on a little card and post it on my desk, it seems so valuable. The fact the conversation starts on a personal note is always a plus. 

15. Return tests, papers or comment cards at the beginning of class. Returning papers and tests at the beginning of class, rather than at the end, allows students to ask necessary questions and to hold a relevant discussion.
This is one I actually disagree with. I always return assignments on Fridays, usually 30 minutes before class ends. While I appreciate questions from ALL students, I do not appreciate losing the attention span of 30 15 year olds. My suggestion is to always set aside a specific time fopers and tests at the beginning of class, rather than at the end, allows students to ask necessary questions and to hold a relevant discussion.
20. Invite students to give YOU feedback.
Remember when you finished a class in college and you were given the chance to ‘grade’ the professor?  How nice was it to finally tell the professor that the reading material was so incredibly boring without worrying about it affecting your grade? Why not let students give you feedback on how you are doing as a teacher?
Make it so that they can do it anonymously. What did they like about your class? What didn’t they like? If they were teaching the class, what would they do differently? What did they learn the most from you as a teacher? If we are open to it, we will quickly learn a few things about ourselves as educators. Remember that feedback goes both ways and as teachers it is wise to never stop improving and honing our skills as teachers.
Student feedback is an idea I've played around with a lot since becoming a teacher. I believe getting genuine feedback from students is important. For this school year, I'd like to create a survey of some sort for students to complete one day after their big state test. They can do it on the iPads and I could go into the next school year with new ideas and suggestions. Obviously high school freshmen are different from college students, so I would have to limit my questions to two or three pertinent ones, but it can be done. 
What are you thoughts about giving feedback? Do you hate it? Love it? Do you like mid course meetings? Or do you prefer old-fashioned comments on assignments? I welcome your feedback! Get it?  

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, I actually use a survey for my students (aside from the typical course evaluations), so if you want to see it, let me know, and I'll send it to you. I find that I get really great feedback and ideas on there. I also find out what students don't understand or their disconnect between what I think I have taught and what they think I have taught. It's quite interesting. You do have to have a thick skin, though, because some of them will just let you have it! I also love lists and cannot function without them. I see where you are coming from on giving papers back at the end, especially if the grades are poor. I usually ask my students what they want by saying, "Okay, the grades weren't that great on this assignment. Do you want them now or at the end? If you say now, you must promise not to pout and give me the stink eye for the remainder of class." They usually laugh and take their feedback in stride...usually.

    ReplyDelete