Monday, July 28, 2014

Response to Warnock #6/7- Chapters 16-18

I did not post about Warnock last week due to time constraints, but I'm back on track this week!

I've seemed to have reached a stalemate with Warnock. I feel like the first three-fourths of the book contained a wealth of information on how to perfect any sort of online class. Now Warnock has honed in on the "writing portion" of his profession, and I feel a little bit lost. I will confess that I am not a strong teacher when it comes to pure writing and rhetoric. If you've been following my blog or know me, you'll know that I'm a ninth grade English teacher. South Carolina's English I curriculum does not contain staunch standards on teaching writing. Now, this doesn't mean I let my kids leave my class illiterate. However, I do not ever assign large, 5 page writing assignments. Therefore, the ideas that Warnock offers on how to teach composition are a bit confusing to me. In chapter sixteen, Warnock stresses the importance of collaborating with other teachers. I believe this is what I should do in order to tackle my inadequacies with teaching writing and rhetoric.

Friends in this course that teach writing online: What are your thoughts on what Warnock says in chapter 16? Has collaborating in a similar space helped you with teaching? How can some of your online teaching skills spill over to f2f teaching?

Chapter 18 should be labeled "Helpful Things for People Like Kelly Who Don't Know Much." I liked the hybrid of a glossary/list of helpful things. I'd already mentioned the important information at the back of Warnock's book, but chapter 18 lists some hands on elements such as textbooks and websites.

And that brings me to the end of the book. Overall, I enjoyed this textbook if you can even call it that. My first blog post on Warnock discussed how accessible the book is, and I still stick to that claim. While I still maintain that I probably will not teach online in the near future, I still EXTREMELY appreciate all the parallels that can be drawn between Warnock's words and the real-life classroom. I plan to add this to my shelf at Fort Mill High School. 

No comments:

Post a Comment