Monday, July 7, 2014

Response to Research Post #4 - Flipped Classroom Tips

If you haven't already noticed, I'm 100% on board with this whole flipped classroom thing. I first heard of a "flipped" classroom when I attended a technology summit last summer. I possess a Flip camcorder, and I thought, "Dang, I'll get right on this."

They stopped making these little boogers and that sucks. RIP Flip. 

Then a whole school year went by with zero effort. It's hard to reinvent the wheel when things are going well and you're busy. Fellow teachers in this course, what are some tips to get my butt in gear? I like technology, and I'm fairly good at troubleshooting when left up to my own devices. I prefer the "tinker with it until it works" method of learning, but I know there are some other ways. This class has been a great start, but what are some other resources you suggest?

20 NEW Facts about Flipped Learning in High Ed

This little ditty was posted on Twitter via Dr. Spring, and it contains some shocking (in a good way!) and insightful tips about the "flipped classroom." Well, maybe tips isn't the best term-more like 20 factoids and statistics debunking the mystery behind flipped teaching. Below are some of my favorites.

5. On average, 8 out of 10 flipped teachers have more than 6 years of experience teaching; 42 percent of ‘flippers’ have been teaching for 16 years or more.
I've  only been teaching for 4 years, so I'd like to break this statistic this year by pledging to do something "flipped." Who's with me?
6. While math and science classes were still flipped the most, there was a significant increase in English classes. In 2014, flipped teachers also reported using the method for social studies (18 percent), technology and computer sciences (17 percent) and world languages (7 percent).
I can name five assignments right off the bat from my English classroom that would be great for the flipped environment. Book report assignments, small class notes, mini-online lectures, and extra credit opportunities to name a few! 
19. The most common concerns about Flipped Learning are: student access at home, needed instruction on how to make or find high-quality videos, how to best use additional classroom time, and the time required to develop a flipped course.
Here's the major bump in the road. What do we do about students who can't afford computer access at home and have no way to transport themselves to a public library? In my opinion, this is where the school steps in. I know that Rock Hill school district now has iPads for all 5th graders as long as their parents sign a waiver and attend one info session. Also, despite massive budget cuts, schools are getting access to new technology now more than ever. Teaching is all about being able to monitor and adjust at the drop of hat, and I feel like the concern on "how to best use additional classroom time" is over the top. I know what I would do if I could cut out 20 minutes everyday spent on explaining things five times: party! Just kidding, I would actually build in times for more meaningful activities and possibly cross-curricular stuff. 
What are your thoughts on this facts and statistics? And furthermore, are you proud that I stepped out of my comfort zone and used a photo this post? Baby steps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment